Loading Map....

Date/Time
Date(s) - Friday, 20 March 2020
10:45 am - 1:00 pm

Location
Trinity Buoy Wharf

Category(ies)


Wharf and view of DomeThose who remember Mark Lewis’s talk on lighthouses will enjoy this. In 1803 Trinity House created a wharf between Bow Creek and the East India Dock to build and maintain buoys and equipment. In 1864 a lighthouse was built for testing (Michael Farady had a workshop on the site) and training lighthouse keepers. It now houses a musical installation, ‘long player’. We get a talk and access to the lighthouse with views over the Thames opposite the Millenium Dome. The wharf buildings now house creative industries with relics of navigational history scattered round.  

Time: Meet at Canning Town Station (outside Costa Coffee) at 10.45.

Cost: £5 per person, payable in advance

Travel: Canning Town station is on the Jubilee Line and Docklands Light Railway. From there we walk (about 15 minutes) through the new development of London City Island, where the English National Ballet will be based, past East India Dock, kept undeveloped as a wild life reserve. There are two places to eat and drink on Trinity Buoy Wharf, and a bus stop for those who don’t want the walk back to the train.

Booking: Please use the booking form or send your name, telephone contact details and membership number to Pam Lewis, 72 Abercorn Road, London NW7 1JT. Bookings by 13 March must be accompanied by a cheque payable to NLU3A; if over-subscribed places will be allocated in order of date of receipt of application.

Monthly Meeting: Ernest Shackleton-His life and times
Vestry House Museum and Walthamstow Village